Wednesday, July 1, 2009

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY

I love the 4th of July. Growing up in Plain City, Utah, this was my favorite holiday. My sister Jacki, my friends and neighbors, Sally, Janet, Lana, and Joni would all sleep out. My mom would get us new "baby doll" pajamas and we allways had a new 4th of July outfit. In the morning the local cops would drive around town at 6:am broadcasting for everyone to wake up and come have breakfast at the Square. We would all go eat and then take part in the fish scramble. I cannot believe I used to do this, but you would jump in an irrigation ditch and catch fish that were dumped in right before. For some reason we loved this year after year. We would then go home and clean up and put on our new clothes. Back at the square, they would have activities all day and booths, food, and best of all snowcones. The afternoon would bring softball games followed by a movie in the church gym and then fireworks. To this day, I still go to my parents in Plain City and go to the square. There is no longer a movie in the church but everything remains almost the same and I still get my boys, age 20 and 15, new outfits, they are no longer cute red, white and blue shirts and shorts but I still get them something.

This 4th of July let's try to green it up just a bit. For your bar-b-que try and buy local and/or organic produce. It would be great if you could go vegetarian for the day but if you must have that grilled hamburger, buy grass fed, organic, and hormone free burgers and chicken. There is also a Natural Wood Charcoal available that is much better for the environment but still gives the the bar-b-que flavor. Use compostable plates, utensils and cups or try the Preserve line of recycled Plastic Plates, Cups and Utensils. These are BPA free, made from recycled plastic and are recyclable. If you enjoy the fireworks, forgo the backyard and take part in your cities display, this will help clear the air of the harmful gunpowder residue. Have a Save, Fun, and Green 4th of July.

No comments: